Visualizing commute time
This was an exploration of a few things:
- Google's Geocoding API
- Google Maps - Displaying lines
- GIS - Overlaying shapes with d3 and Turf.js
The goal was to see how long commutes are to various parts of Metro Seattle from the center of downtown Seattle.
I chose the public transit mode because I think that's the 2nd best way to get around Seattle (biking is the #1 way).
Initially I color-coded the commute paths in 10-minute buckets. I then tried a more ambitious approach
of adding shapes to see the commutes at a more broad level across the metro area.
Issues and challenges:
- Need more of a grid-based approach to the destination locations, rather than homes for sale.
- Working with the polygons was challenging. There's a good bit of code and complexity. Could probably
use some of d3's geojson to make it easier.
- I'm a bit skeptical of these commute times. They seem low/ambitious and might not factor in traffic well.